Saturday, July 9, 2011

ONE DAY IN A DAY'S WORK

    On Love and Innocence

    One day, I found myself in a taxi heading to my assignment for the day. As I passed by my children's school, unaware that it was the exact time my five-year-old daughter would be leaving, I caught a glimpse of her with her new nanny. She appeared so small and innocent among the bustling crowd, just emerging from the school's gate and waiting for a jeepney to take her home. My heart melted at the sight.

    Seeing her innocence there, unaware of the uncertainties that lie ahead in her life, brought tears to my eyes. She is my little girl, a precious part of me and my wife's shared journey. Despite the challenges we face, my wife's separation from home, we endure it all for the sake of our children. They are the reason we work tirelessly, sacrificing our own preferences for their well-being.

    When I returned to my workplace that day, the image of her stayed with me. With few customers to attend to, with a pen in my hand, I stealthily captured my emotions onto a piece of paper:

Barely spending half my life in this institution
Trying to be surreptitiously flawless at work
Mine's never been an open book but a mystery
Being here a long time ago but seems quite new

While on a tour of duty for my daily bread
A familiar face was set before my eyes
Caught me jolted with heart filled with glee
Burning with a passion so warm and tender

It's the sweetest countenance I ever did see
My little angel's face so very brightly beaming
An exquisite and pure moment of joy and love
Oh God, how could an angel turn her back!

Only yesterday she's like an unassuming bud
An innocent earthling crawling around her crib
That blossoms into a charming little girl I adore
And never will I go weary because I love her so

my baby girl with her nanny in school


No comments: