Sunday, February 18, 2007

A CHILD'S PURITY OF HEART

    After my wife left for the Middle East in search of better opportunities, I found myself shouldering both maternal and paternal responsibilities for our children. Yesterday, a Sunday, presented a unique challenge: it was my maid's day off, and our groceries were running low. I decided to take my eldest child with me to the grocery store while the younger ones stayed at their grandparents' house.

    Managing our weekly expenses has become tighter since my wife's job search abroad, so I had to be more careful with our purchases. After a selective shopping trip, I returned home in the late afternoon, feeling weary but still attended to some tasks on my computer in the living room. As the evening approached, I heard the joyful sounds of my kids playing with their friends outside.

    By six o'clock, it was almost dark when our maids returned home. Shortly after, amidst the noise of the door closing, my children rushed inside, full of energy. My eldest, a nine-year-old, approached me insisting that it was time to go to church. I gently explained that we had missed the last mass at our nearby church because they had played outside for so long.

my eldest child

    Despite my explanations, my daughter, already teary-eyed, persisted in her plea. She reminded me that there was a later mass at another church in Talamban at 7:30 p.m., mentioning that her mother had emphasized the importance of attending mass every Sunday before she left. Her earnestness moved me deeply, and despite my initial reluctance, I eventually agreed.

    We hurried to the San Isidro Labrador Parish Church in Talamban, a few miles away, arriving just in time for the evening service. And so, her insistence paid off.

    Witnessing my daughter's commitment to her mother's wishes underscored her love and determination. It was a poignant reminder of the promises we make and strive to keep, especially when it comes to family.

    In this moment, I realized the purity of intention in a child's heart contrasted sharply with the complexities of adulthood. My daughter's unwavering dedication to her mother's words served as a profound lesson to us all, highlighting the power of love and the importance of honoring commitments, even amidst life's challenges.

No comments: